Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Positively stuck on day eight

Today I decided to treat myself with some crafty goodness from Spotlight......just a few bits and bobs for my planned retreat time out at Piha next weekend (I want to do some multimedia/collage artwork while I'm there). 

Well as I was drooling over all the wonderful things I could buy if money really did grow on trees or Ollie and I could find the elusive Millionaire with a Cough, what should my little eyes fall upon but this beautiful sensation:

Mod Podge Shimmer!!!!


Now unless you are A: a woman and B: addicted to crafting - you won't know about Mod Podge.  But put quite simply its a glue and/or sealer.  Its so wonderful and has so many uses and gives a wonderful finish. 

There are lots of different kinds, such as matt, gloss, high gloss finish etc.  Ones for fabric or paper.  But now they even have one that gives you a 'shimmer' of gold or silver in it!

I just stood in the adhesives aisle giddy with excitement at the thought of all the projects I could use it for.....I know that sounds sad but give me a break life is tough right now and I don't get out a lot!

I shared my excitement with the lady at the checkout and she too was excited and giddy and totally agreed with me that it was a wonder of modern crafting technology and how exciting to think of all the things we could now 'shimmer'.

It doesn't take much to get me going some days and this was just wonderful.  I can't wait to reach my decluttering goal of having a dedicated creative area again and then i will be mod podging up a storm and 'shimmer' mod podging till the cows come home!!!

The History of Mod Podge


Mod Podge is one of the most enduring and versatile products ever offered by the craft industry.

The inventor of Mod Podge®, Jan Wetstone, first developed Mod Podge® in the 1960s in her garage. The name of this now-famous mixture came from the term "Modern Decoupage." She tested it on all kinds of surfaces; she even decoupaged a Volkswagen Beetle using bed sheets! At the time, Ms. Wetstone owned an interior design shop in Atlanta. Decoupage was all the rage, but extremely time consuming. It was a tedious task to brush on layer upon layer of varnish, sanding between each coat. Ms. Wetstone "did some experimenting" in the back room of her shop and Mod Podge was born.
mod podge bug
Mod Podge inventor, Jan WetstoneAfter sharing some of her Mod Podge-coated prints in her shop, her customers demanded that she share her decoupage secret--and the rest is history. She began offering Mod Podge kits in her shop and they were a huge success. The product was such a hit that a major Atlanta department store purchased exclusive rights to her kits.

In 1967, Mod Podge received recognition as one of four best items in the Housewares Show in Chicago, at the time, the largest show of its kind. Eventually Mod Podge was sold to Enterprise Paints and then went through a variety of owners. In 1979, Mod Podge found a permanent home with Plaid Enterprises.

Mod Podge continues to be a craft favorite because it is so versatile, easy to use and because crafters are always discovering new uses for the product!


No comments:

Post a Comment